Unusual vegetables can be a really fun addition to your garden. Of course, you will probably always have your standard go-to’s like green beans or romaine lettuce. However, if you want to add a little color or some cool shapes and sizes to your crops, there are some fun and funky crops you can try growing.
5 Unusual Vegetables for Your Garden:
- Glass Gem Corn. This is really the most beautiful corn. It has a multitude of bright colorful kernels. Each ear of corn is different and unique with a different rainbow and pattern of colors. Glass gem corn is not a regular eating corn (for things like corn on the cob). It is a flint corn and can be ground into meal or used as popcorn.
- Lemon Cucumbers. These are a really fun addition for your garden, especially if you are used to huge bumper crops of plain ‘ol pickling cucumbers. They look like (no surprise) lemons. They are round and yellow. These cute cucumbers are good to slice and eat.
- Moon and Stars Watermelon. What, you say? These cool smaller watermelons are a very dark green in color. They also have various sized bright yellow spots (hence the moon and stars name). These melons are great for snacking!
- Casper Pumpkins. Again, a very descriptive name that probably is a give away to what this unusual vegetable looks like. These pumpkins are ghostly white. They are a very striking addition to a garden. They can be used in pies.
- Romanesco. I bet (unlike the others on our list) you have no real clue what this vegetable may be from it’s name. Romanesco is a cauliflower variation. However, unlike your typical cauliflower, it is slightly green in color. And, it’s florets are pointy and spiraled. It truly is mesmerizing to look at!
There you have it, 5 unusual vegetables that you should try growing to add a little fun to your harvest. Which one of these will you try?