When you have goats, they will of course need hay in addition to other supplies. The thing about hay is that it can be difficult to find. Finding a high quality hay can be especially hard. Also, depending on your area, high quality hay can become very cost prohibitive. If you can’t find hay, your hay quality is lacking or the price of your hay is too high Chaffhaye might be a good answer for you!
Chaffhaye Benefits (for you and your goats!)
- Chaffhaye is made by fermenting alfalfa. It can be used as a hay replacement or a hay supplement. So, if you cannot find hay in your area, Chaffhaye might be the way to go.
- Chaffhaye has significantly less waste than regular hay. This may be the best Chaffhaye benefit. Seriously, I can’t tell you how many times we fill the hay feeders ALLL the way up. Then, upon checking a few hours later, and there is a (not so) beautiful pile of that expensive hay all over the ground. It is painful to see that expensive hay on the ground uneaten. Because, once it is dirty those goats are NOT going to put it in their mouths. With Chaffhaye, you fill up a bucket and they just eat it. They aren’t trying to pull out the stems and only eat the most yummy parts. They want to eat it all. So the only real waste is anything that gets spilled.
- Chaffhaye also has health benefits. Alfalfa itself is high protein and fiber and low sugar. Fermenting decreases the sugar content even more. The fermenting of the Chaffhaye also makes it easier to digest the fiber content. This means that your goats can digest and absorb all of the high quality nutrients better – thus getting more nutrition.
- Chaffhaye is also non-GMO. So, for those of you who try to feed more natural, this is a real bonus.
- Potentially decreasing your feed bill. Ok, so depending on your area’s price of high quality hay, a bag of Chaffhaye may be more expensive that an equivalent bale of hay. However, there is much less waste with Chaffhaye. For us, with hay being $7/bale (relatively low in comparison to some places) we do see a decrease in our feed bill by feeding Chaffhaye in addition to regular hay.
- An additional Chaffhaye benefit is that it can be fed to a multitude of different animals. So, if you want to use it with your chickens, cows etc they will love it too!
If you are sold on Chaffhaye benefits and would like to get some, check out their list of dealers. Of note, each dealer sets their own price.
Do you already feed Chaffhaye? Do your goats love it?